First, reality: wearing your baby next to your body in hot weather is going to be hot for both of you. There is just no way around that! That being said, there are a few things to keep in mind when choosing a baby carrier for use a warm and/or humid climate.
- Consider a carrier with UV protection built in, like the Moby Wrap with UV Protection or the Wrapsody Water Wrap.
- Consider coverage when choosing baby carriers for sunny weather. For example, ring sling tails can provide additional coverage and sun protection for your baby
- Consider the fabric of the baby carrier you choose. Fabrics made specifically for warm weather, like linen and mesh, are breathable and cool. 100% cotton is breathable, and therefore also a good choice.
- Consider a back carry over a front carry, when possible. We’re not sure of the reason, exactly, but back carries always feel less hot to us!
- If you’re going to be at the pool or beach, definitely consider a water carrier – water carriers dry easily and usually wick water besides.
Our favorite carriers for hot summer weather and water are:
The Wrapsody Water Wrap Carrier is a best seller all year round, but especially in the summer months or when people are living in and traveling to hot/humid locales! Made to be worn in water, this baby wrap is breathable, wicks water and dries in a flash. Like all wraps, this carrier gives a super secure carry – run after your toddler while holding your little one! Made of silky black material with a soft sheen, it dresses up nicely for evening, too. This carrier is very stretchy, so it’s best for front carries with children under 20 lbs.
Ring slings are fabulous for warm weather babywearing because they are usually made of light, breathable fabrics. Also, their long tails can provide additional sun shade for baby.
Maya Wrap ring slings are 100% loomed cotton, with a linen feel that is perfect for warmer weather. Sakura Bloom Linen slings breathe wonderfully and are antibacterial to boot.
Great for use as a front carrier for your baby from birth and as a hip carrier for older kids who have good head control. Usable up to 35 lbs.Wrapsody Breeze wraps are some of the lightest, coolest baby wraps around! Made from gauze, these are slightly transparent yet still supportive and strong. Great for use year round, with children from birth to 35 lbs.Everything you already love about the Ergobaby Carrier in cooler, breezier fabrics~ The Ergobaby Sport is a part poly, part cotton material which is breathable and has slight wicking properties to keep you cooler and drier. Plus, the Sport has vent in the body to allow for more airflow. A great, lighter-weight option for hot, humid weather!The Ergobaby Performance Carriers are also lightweight, wicking fabric, and slimmer, contoured shoulders for a less bulky feel. With the Peformance, you still get the pocket (missing on the Sport).Ergo also makes a Performance fabric infant insert for use with babies before they have good head control.
Shop our best baby carriers for hot weather and summer!