Learn > Choosing your baby carrier > Choose by Weather & Climate: Hot Weather & Water
Choose by Weather & Climate
Wearing in hot weather & water
Unfortunately, no one has yet invented a baby carrier with an air conditioner feature, but when they do, we'll be the first ones to sign up. Until then, the bottom line is that wearing your baby is in hot weather is going to be, well, hot! That being said, we do have some tips for babywearing in the heat, sun and water.
Stay in the shade! This may seem obvious, but if you're anything like we are, you may be stubbornly trying to go about your business without any regard for the weather. Summer is a good time to slow down, take it easy as much as you can, and stay in the shade whenever possible.
Dress your baby lightly. Loose linen fabrics that cover the skin but are breathable and cool may help. If you will be inside/in the shade, you may want to consider just putting your baby in a diaper. Babylegs are a great way to provide lightweight sun protection for little legs and arms. They can be easily removed once you are out of the sun.
Consider coverage when choosing baby carriers for the warm weather. Ring slings can be used to provide additional coverage.
Consider the fabric of the baby carrier you choose. Fabrics made specifically for warm weather, like mesh, are breathable and cool. 100% cotton is breathable and therefore also a good choice.
Consider a back carry over a front carry, when possible. We're not sure of the reason, exactly, but back carries always feel less hot to us.
Check out our selection of Water Carriers for great options for the pool or beach!
Our favorite carriers for hot summer weather are:
- The Wrapsody Water Wrap -dries quickly, has UV protection, great looking
- ERGO SPORT baby carriers and ERGO Performance Carriers - less fabric to trap the heat in, plus made of breathable, wicking fabric
- Maya Wrap Ring Slings and Sakura Bloom Pure ring slings - both are made of light, breathable fabric plus you can use the tail for coverage
- Hotslings pouches -breathable cotton, very minimal material
- Wrapsody Breeze wraps - while wraps are hotter than other carriers due to the amount of fabric, Wrapsody Breeze wraps are made from very thin gauze - super breathable and light. They are widely known as the coolest wraps available.