A Mei Tai is an Asian-style baby carrier that consists of a rectangular piece of fabric with 4 straps that you use to tie your baby onto you. This type of carrier is wonderful for small babies through toddler age and is especially great for caregivers with back issues, as the carrier distributes weight over your entire upper body and uses 2 shoulders. This carrier can be used for front and back carries from newborn through preschool age as well as for hip carries. This carriers offer the option to nurse hand free, though some women with larger breasts may find it slightly difficult.
Why we love Mei Tais:
- Versatile and easy to learn
- Great from birth to heavy toddlerhood
- Super adjustable
- One size fits most, so caregivers of different sizes can share the carrier
- Gorgeous prints and patterns!
- Allow back carrying of a newborn
- Great for people with back and shoulder problems since they distribute weight over both shoulders
Mei Tais are not ideal for:
- Wet, muddy days (due to difficulty of keeping straps from dragging on the ground)
- People only interested in hip carry (there are easier hip carriers)
- Newborn nursing (there are better carriers)
- People who aren’t able to tie and untie knots