The new Tula Explore carrier is here and it goes on sale tomorrow! This carrier is Baby Tula’s first time releasing a carrier that faces baby forward – pretty exciting stuff for those parents who really want a Tula and really want the world-facing option!
First impressions: Tula Free-to-Grow + Ergobaby Omni = Tula Explore
My first impression of the Tula Explore is that it’s as though the Tula Free to Grow and the Ergobaby Omni had a baby. This is not too surprising since both these brands are owned by the company. It’s pretty natural that they’d start to collaborate!
What this means for the new Tula Explore carrier is that it has the fit and style that Tula fans know and love, but with the option to face forward as well! The Explore Tula uses the Omni’s innovative set of buttons to adjust the front of the carrier to allow your baby to face the world in a position that is still ergonomic for baby.
New Features of the Tula Explore
- A primary benefit of the Tula Explore is that it offers the forward-facing position. This carrier uses buttons to adjust the shape of the seat to ergonomically support a baby in the forward-facing position.
- The Tula Explore also has a headrest that flips up to provide additional head/back support for bigger babies, or down.
- The headrest can be flipped to the outside of the carrier to allow baby to comfortably face out in the carrier. It can also be tucked inside to give some additional head support for a newborn. I love this feature and it’s very cleanly done on the Explore – it feels neat and easy.
+ Tula Features You (May) Already Love
If you like the Tula Free To Grow, you’ll be happy to know that Explore keeps many of its features. I consider the Tula FTG to be pretty much the perfect adjustable infant carrier (that doesn’t face forward), so I’m pretty pleased that Tula has adapted a lot of its awesomeness to this new carrier!
- Use it from (full term) birth – no need for an infant insert! Woohoo!
- Soft and flexible fabric – in spite of all the adjustability, this Tula still has the soft cotton fabrics we all love about the Tula line.
- Adjustability at the base. Like the Free-to-Grow, the Tula Explore has an adjustable base with three (covered) snap settings. This allows you to adjust it as your baby grows – smaller for a newborn, wider for an older child.
- Tula leg padding at the legholes for your baby’s legs
- Tula waistband and shoulder straps – already legendary for their comfort – why mess with a good thing?
- pocket on the waistband
- detachable hood in the same fabric as the carrier.
These videos from Tula show the carrier in action so you can get a sense of how all the pieces work together. This carrier does offer a back carry, but it works pretty much like any other buckle carrier.
I snapped a few pictures of the carrier lying flat, to give you an idea of what it looks like irl.
- EVERY CARRY POSITION YOUR BABY WILL NEED, INCLUDING FACING OUT: Multiple positions to carry baby including front facing out*, facing in, and back carry. Each position provides a natural, ergonomic position best for comfortable carrying that promotes healthy hip and spine development for baby.
- INNOVATIVE BODY PANEL WITH AN EASY-TO-ADJUST DESIGN: Adjusts in three width settings to find a perfect fit as baby grows from newborn to early toddlerhood.
- PADDED, ADJUSTABLE NECK SUPPORT PILLOW: Can be used in multiple positions to provide head and neck support for newborns and sleeping babies.
- BREATHABLE & LIGHTWEIGHT COTTON: Responsibly designed and made with care from soft and breathable 100% cotton that's easy to clean and machine washable.
- PADDING WHERE NEEDED FOR EXTRA COMFORT: Padded shoulder straps provide optimal neck & shoulder comfort and offers quick adjustments for multiple wearers. Wide padded waistband helps evenly distribute weight. Padded leg openings to keep baby comfortable.